Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankfuls


I have so much to be thankful for. Sometimes I take things for granted though, and need to take a step back and really see all that I have been blessed with in my life. This evening, with Thanksgiving looming in a mere 3 days, I am feeling extra thankful. Here are a few things that are on my mind.

:: My life. Seriously. Just living and breathing, and being healthy is something that I feel so grateful for right now.

:: My sweet Joshua. He was in charge of teaching our lesson for Family Home Evening tonight, so he chose a movie portraying a story from The Book of Mormon. Afterward, he stood up and said, "The lesson is, we need to repent so we can be happy." It was short. It was sweet. And the truth of his simple words touched my heart. I love this boy!

:: Peace of mind. I am so thankful to know that I can have peace of mind given to me by a loving Father in Heaven who knows me and wants me to feel joy.

:: A husband who listens to me, even when I'm sounding a bit crazy.

:: My Hannah girl. She has been trying SO hard to be obedient and kind. Last night, I wasn't feeling so well (that could be because I ate 2 cinnamon rolls...stupid me!) and I was not looking forward to cleaning up my messy kitchen. Well, this sweet girl crawled out of bed and asked what she could do to help me. When I saw her coming down the stairs, my first impulse was to immediately send her back to bed, but I decided to let her help and I'm so glad that I did. We spent the next 20 minutes cleaning and chatting and giggling together. It was a sweet and tender moment that we both needed. The best part happened after we were finished and she was heading up the stairs. She stopped and turned around and said, "Mom, I just thought I should tell you this. Do you know who told me that I should come down and help you? The Holy Ghost. I'm glad I listened, mom!"

:: I am thankful for trials. Of course I'm not always thankful during the trial, but after I've gone through it, I am always thankful for the lessons learned.

:: Christmas music. My husband has completely converted me. In the past, I did not want to even think about playing it until after Thanksgiving, if not December 1st. We now begin on November 1st and I have to say, I love it! Sissell still tops our favorite's list.

:: My Jakey boy. He teaches me so much. This afternoon, he was watching a show while I was ironing, and out of the blue he said, "When I grow up, I just want to walk." And a few days ago, he asked me if I thought he would be grown up when Jesus comes again because he really wants to walk. There were no tears or sadness from this little boy, just simple wishes and desires. He is so patient in his afflictions, and has so much hope and faith. My 5 year old teaches me every day that I need to be more like him.

:: My Savior, Jesus Christ. I don't know if it's because of the Christmas music, but lately I feel an extra amount of love and appreciation for Him and what He did for me. For each of us. I can never re-pay the debt, and sometimes I am overwhelmed just trying to understand The Atonement. There really aren't words to describe it adequately. Just so grateful.

20 Thoughts:

Chell said...

This gave me goosebumps. You are really blessed and Im so glad that you shared this with us!

Lisa Christine said...

What a beautiful list of gratitude.
I was especially touched by what Hannah said. How wonderful that she followed that prompting.

Kris said...

Tiffani, you are such a good mom. I love how you learn so much from your kids and take the time to listen to them. That is being such a good example and I need to do better with that. Your list is wonderful. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving! :)

Jan said...

Hannah is doing great things. I love your list and you have been seriously blessed. Glad you are grateful for those blessings too. Have a great Thanksgiving week Tiffani.

Sarah said...

Because of this post, I am going to listen more to my children today. Thanks for that.

Brook said...

We have already popped in the Christmas tunes too! I'll have to let you borrow our favorite one called Let Us Adore Him, good for sundays!!

The Donald said...

That is a great list. Thanks for sharing.

AOlson said...

THANK YOU for posting this. Every one of them was so sweet. You made me feel all warm and mushy inside:)

SuzanSayz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...

That was a lovely and touching post Tiffani. I especially liked your daughter's response...very sweet.

Heather said...

There is always something to be grateful for and it's a wise woman who can always see it.

Casee said...

I love your list, so heartfelt and full of gratitude. Thanks for your always sweet reminders to look for the good things in life. You are the best Tiff!

Ms. Kristen said...

Wow! What a beautiful post. I love josh, hannah and jake....they are learing at your knee. You both are teaching them the truth. Good job. You should be very proud of yourself.

Marilyn said...

Beautifully written. I acutally teared up at the Jakey paragraph.

Thanks for sharing this today.

tharker said...

Yes, Susan that was Hannah that you saw. Sorry, I had to delete your comment. I didn't want the name of her school on here. Please don't think that I took your comment down because of any other reason though :)

SuzanSayz said...

Don't worry about it Tiffani. It's been so long since I've had young children that I forget about things like that. How sad that even where a child goes to school needs to be gaurded nowadays. This world is just getting so scary.
Tell Hannah that I thought she looked so cute and proffesional.

Elizabeth said...

I love that comment from Hannah. That is definitely one I'd want to write down. So tender and heartwarming.
You're definitely doing something right!

Kim said...

I'm thankful for your thoughts. You're a sweety.

I loved the part about Hannah. Doesn't that just make all the craziness worth it?!!

Amy said...

That is so unbelievably sweet about Hannah! You are such a good mom.

Brooklet said...

that's a cute story about hannah! These are the little memories she will think back on when she is grown up.