Sunday, March 29, 2009

The dawning of understanding.

After seeing this picture that Heather posted last week, some things are totally making sense to me now. And since I know you are dying to know what those things are, of course I'll be a good girl and share.

When Jake was about 2 weeks old, I toted him and the other two children down to the hospital for his second PKU shot. While sitting in the waiting room, I noticed an older couple sitting on the other side of the room. Actually it wasn't so much the couple that I noticed, as much as the wife (really old lady) completely staring at me. I tried my best to ignore her stares and just smile while I awaited my little boy's turn to have his tiny feet pricked, but she would not stop staring!

Finally, after we had seen the doctor and practically all of the blood had been squeezed from my little baby's heel, I began packing up the kids. I glanced across the room and sure enough, there was old lady. Still. Staring. I smiled and gave a faint little wave and just as I was about to leave she approached me.

I thought surely she was just staring because of the intense beauty of my children (hey, I am their mom!) and now she couldn't go another minute without saying something about their beautiful little faces. Oh how wrong I was. How very wrong. Here's how the conversation went down.

"How old are your children?"

"3 1/2, 2, and a newborn" (stated with obvious motherly pride)

"How old WERE you when you started having children?"

"I was 22."

"NO. You must have been younger than that! You must have started when you were 17!"

"No. I'm 26, and my HUSBAND AND I had our daughter when I was 22."

"No..."

"Yes. Well, I REALLY have to get going now." (trying my best to still be polite...it was hard)

I couldn't understand why she wouldn't believe me. I looked 26 right? Apparently not. As evidenced by this photo.

I totally get it now.

9 Thoughts:

GENEIL said...

Tiff- You still look like your a hot 17 year old and I am sure that makes Spencer so proud and a little mad at the same time! :)

Emily said...

You look youthful and gorgeous and that's a good thing! I know how you feel though. I get annoying comments like that ALL the time. I have learned to just take it as a compliment.

Ms. Kristen said...

Take it as a compliment....I have the oppisite problem...people think I am Hunters' grandma!

Heather said...

A grandma?? No way Kristen. Hey, I know the feeling, braces while pregnant doesn't help out the situation either.

Sarah said...

Ha, this made me laugh. You do look young for your age, but that's a good thing. I can relate a bit though, I feel like sometimes people treat me like I'm younger or don't know as much becuase they assume I'm not as old as I am. (And that I'm OLDER than my husband, that always throws people for a loop!)

Andre said...

Just shows how young and cute you are. Still.

Amy said...

I can't believe she kept pressing you and wouldn't believe you! How obnoxious! I always get the "wow, you are busy!" comment. Um, yes. I am.
And you are still young and beautiful!

hatch said...

Even though she sounds totally annoying take it as a compliment. You still look young and like everyone else says beautiful.

Megan said...

that is hilarious and totally unappreciated at the time. but i'm sure the older we get, the better those comments will sound...