My doctor (my favorite doctor of all time) and I had a little chat after the ultrasound last Friday. I've been wanting to have this chat with him for some time, but decided to wait until I knew the status of baby's health. The topic of this chat? Delivery.
You might be asking yourself why in the world I would be thinking about delivery already. I've still got 20 weeks and some change to go until this little one is due, so why talk birthing now?
a.) Because I like to have a plan
b.) Because I do not want another C-Section
c.) That's the gist of things
I had a planned C-Section with Jake because it was by far the safest way to get him here. Of course I wanted to do what was best for him, so that's the way things went. The worst part was definitely the recovery. SO different from my first two deliveries. And not in a good way.
But I figured it was no big deal, I would just do a V-BAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) with my next baby. So a couple of years after Jake was born, I talked with my doctor about it, and he informed me that his office no longer would perform V-BAC's. I was sad. Obviously, if my baby were in any kind of danger, of course I would have the C-Section, but to be forced to have another simply because I had one previously...without giving me the option to choose...that bothered me.
So, when I learned that I was pregnant, one of the things that went through my mind almost immediately was how I was going to deliver this child. I want to avoid a C-Section. I've labored and delivered two children on my own sans Epidural, and if I may say...I pretty much rocked at it! Yeah, it was painful. Yep, it was hard. However, because of those deliveries, I learned exactly what my body could handle. In fact, I would say that I've never been so in tune with my body as I am when I am in labor and giving birth. I want to do this again. With all my heart.
Is a C-Section a bad thing? Heavens no! It is a modern miracle that doctors have learned a safe and effective way to get babies here when they are in distress. Thinking of the thousands of babies lives that have been saved because the doctor performed a section is astounding to me, and I'm so happy that we have that knowledge and technology. For me though, it is just something that I don't want to go through again if I don't have to. Now, if a C-Section is for you, more power to ya. I'm strictly speaking about what I believe is the best choice for me and my baby. If my baby and I aren't in danger, then I do not want to do it again.
Okay...back to the chat that the good doctor and I had on Friday. Once I knew that baby girl was healthy and safe, I felt ready to have this discussion, and see where it led. I was prepared to leave my favorite doctor...as sad as that would make me, because he is fabulous. But I was prepared to change to a doctor that would at least give me the option of a V-BAC. I'm all about options, people. So I broached the subject, and to my pleasant surprise, he informed me that the office had changed it's policy, and will now perform V-BAC's! He said I would have to sign a form stating that I understand the risks involved (but really, there are risks with EVERY delivery) but he wasn't worried about me in the least. He was there for part of my labor with Hannah, and all of my labor and delivery with Josh. He knows me and my rock star birthing ways, and feels totally confident that I can do a V-BAC.
This was such a relief to me! Not only do I now have the option of delivering my baby in the way that I feel is best, but I still get to keep my most favorite doctor ever! It was just more good news on top of the best news about our baby. I was a happy mama!
Disclaimer A:
Please do not think for a second that I will refuse a C-Section if my baby is in any kind of danger.
Disclaimer B:
You may think it sounds strange that I keep referring to my birthing skills in a rock star manner, but here's the thing. I'm really only good at two things, baking bread and birthing babies. I have to celebrate my skills somehow!
Disclaimer C:
Please understand that half of what I say on this little blog of mine is meant to be tongue in cheek...sarcasm...poking fun at myself....my pitiful attempts at wittiness. Please don't hold it against me!
Sunday, July 19, 2009
More good news (for me).
Posted by tharker at 9:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


16 Thoughts:
what signs and symbols are you seeing? we are so excited you're having a girl! maile is jealous...loves.
Phew! I knew this was a major concern of yours so I'm so glad it's worked out perfectly. I'll be in the hallway cheering on your rock star ways!!!
Glad it all worked out. A girl huh? So fun for you and Hannah.
I have been totally educated here. I didn't know about the v thing. Glad you are going to be able to do it the way you like. Nothing says happy like a favorite birth style.
Hmmm...congrats on the good news and the baby girl. It seems that you and I have something in common.:)
It sounds like congratulations are in order for you too, Mama!
Yay!!! That is great news! I didn't know that you birthed your first 2 without an epidural! I have had 3 of mine that way.
And I'm pretty sure you're good at more than those two things! lol
I'm glad you have the vbac option... that recovery was miserable for you.
Um, hello! You rock at Yoga Booty Ballet, and if you'd practice more maybe you could rock at "cooking with garlic".
I'm so incredibly happy for you!!! I understand the whole v-bac thing. Sarah was v-bac, and it was much nicer than a c-section (at least for me). I bet Hannah is sooo excited for a sister.
You are cracking me up, Heather!
HOORAY!! I had Jacob C-Section and both girls V-Back and my birthing with the girls was AMAZING and the recovery also was much much easier!! You go girl! Way to keep your options open and set your plan in motion. Mothers know best!!
You rock and so do your birthing skills, let your self glow in the fact that you can do all that you can do.
I am sooooo excited about all this news!!! Are you going to have a shower?? I'm bawling because I'm just so happy.
yay!!!!
So happy for you :)
With that being said, I must proclaim my love for C-sections. I delivered my first two vaginally, and then Elisabeth was delivered by C-section (obviously). I LOVED IT! So easy breezy. And I had no pain afterwards and recovered better and quicker than the vaginal births (where mojor tearing was involved...ouch).
So who is your doctor?
Lisa,
I wish that I had the same experience with my C-Section. My recovery was so much more painful than my first two vaginal deliveries. I'm so glad for you that your recovery was better than mine was!
My doctor is Dr. Mullholland. I saw him a few times when I was pregnant with Hannah, then shortly after she was born, my doctor left the practice, so I switched to Mullholland.
I think he's been my doctor for going on 9 years now. I know some women love him, and some don't. He's very sarcastic (which Spencer and I both love!) and sometimes says goofy things that might bother some women, but it doesn't bother me. It actually puts me more at ease.
I think I really came to love him when I was pregnant with Jake. He was WONDERFUL! He was so caring, and so compassionate, and treated my unborn child with love and respect (something I wasn't getting from the "specialists". They made me feel like my son was a lab rat) He was there every step of the way. He would call us at home to see how we were doing throughout the pregnancy and he even called UW and Children's Hospital a couple of times while we were there just to check on us and our baby. He went above and beyond the regular check ups and lab work, and for that I just love him!!
First of all, if you are a birthing rock star, I say own it. I am not a birthing rock star, and I know how tough it is, so you should talk it up!
Second of all, having had a c-section and never delivering vaginally, I am not sure what I intend to do in the future. I think I would like to try a VBAC, but I am scared of what may go wrong, but like you said there are risks with every delivery. I think that it is great that you know what you want, you should definitely go for it, and bonus that you get to keep your doctor!
I hope everything works out for you to not have a c-section this go around. I am scared I will have to have one this time and I DO NOT WANT ONE. That is awesome that you could have such a good conversation about your concerns and what you think is best for you with your doctor - and better yet that he listened!
Post a Comment