Friday, June 03, 2011

The boy with the orange chair.


Last Saturday evening, I sat at a table in Starbucks, surrounded by a collection of women.  Connecting with women I love and look up to.  Women that I've admired from afar via their blog.  And women that I had never met before, but felt an instant connection with as we discussed blogging, and family life.  It was a pleasure to be in the company of such kind and beautiful women and I have to thank Danyelle, Lindsay and Randi for putting it together.  It was a treat.

As the conversation turned to blogging content, one wise Danyelle mentioned that she missed hearing about my Jake and wished for more.  I'll admit, I've purposely avoided posting about him for some time.  Mainly because every time I try, I get too emotional and can't seem to make my thoughts translate coherently.  I also have struggled with wanting to share his story, but at the same time, wanting to be respectful of his privacy.  I don't feel the need to share every detail, but I know that by sharing, I can connect with other parents who are facing some of the same challenges.  In that connection, I have found great power and strength throughout my journey as Jake's mother.


When Jake was a baby, I tried to imagine what his life would be like.  What his struggles and trials would be.  At the time, I could only look at the physical aspects of his disability because he was an infant, and couldn't tell me how he felt.  So I put all of my focus there, knowing that one day the emotional challenges of Spina Bifida would most certainly take center stage in his life from time to time.

Jake is now facing some of the struggles that I knew would come eventually.  Mainly toileting issues.  We have a pretty good system worked out for his needs.  He caths every 3-4 hours and is on a medication to aid in bladder control.  He is even learning to cath himself with little assistance.  Because of the location of the lesion on his spine, his bowel control is also affected.  With him being in 1st grade and gone all day, we needed to implement a toileting schedule at school.  In working with the school nurse, things have gone fairly smoothly this year.  But he still has those days when things go wrong and he comes home in different clothes than he went to school in.  Thankfully, his teacher is wonderful and knows him inside and out.  She doesn't make a big deal out of things, and he knows that if he needs to leave the classroom, he is free to go.  But he is just like any other child and worries about what the other kids will say or think.  It breaks my heart to see him so embarrassed.

He struggles with feeling left out when he can't do some of the things that the other children at school do.  He does his best to find another way to do it, but sometimes it just doesn't work out and he is sad.  Seeing your child hurt, no matter the cause is painful for a parent.  Even though I know that the struggle is good for him and I can't solve these problems, it's still hard.  It is constantly weighing on my heart and on my mind.  It's just hard.

However, in spite of the challenges Jake faces on a daily basis, he is truly one of the happiest children I know.  He does his best not to let things get him down.  He is as smart as can be, (and knows it...) reads WAY above his grade level and is looking forward to 2nd grade.  He sees life through rose colored glasses and I wouldn't have it any other way.  He loves to try new things (except for swimming, he is deathly afraid of the water) and has the cutest sense of humor.  While at Disneyland last week, he told his dad (who was feeling a bit grumpy dealing with the large crowds) that he was more grumpy than Donald Duck...man, I just love that kid!  He just brings joy to everything he does in life.

Maybe I am a bit biased as his mother, but I'm pretty sure he also brings a little bit of sunshine to everyone he meets.

22 Thoughts:

Sara said...

What a remarkable boy with such an amazing heart and spirit. Thanks for sharing and being so honest. Children who have special challenges make this world a more colorful and beautiful place.

CrazyChel said...

Thank you for sharing Tiffani! I completely understand the struggle with sharing & becoming emotional and letting them have their privacy. Your little guy is amazing and very clearly has your glass half full, sunny personality! :)

Kelly said...

Wow...That smile of his is contagious! You are doing an amazing job Tiffany. He will always face challenges, but it's obvious he is loved and is undoubtedly happy!

Lovely Lindsay said...

yay! way to take back your blog. i can't wait to see what happens in this happy space as you start to pour out your heart. i sure love you. and that jake of yours.
love, lindsay

Ashley Calaway said...

Oh, he definitely brings a LOT of sunshine to everyone. Who can resist that smile? He is just about the cutest kid I have ever met! Your kids are all little rays of sunshine. They've obviously been taught by the best ;-)

Sarah said...

I think it says a lot about a person's spirit with how they handle the challenges they are given in life. Jake definitely seems like he is going to take the world by storm and everyone will know who that awesome boy in the orange chair is.

Keryn said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this. My little boy still has another year until kindergarten, and my heart just quails at the possible unkindness of peers and even adults. So far we've held him close, but next year he's going to a regular preschool...I'm SO nervous.

I guess I don't have anything useful to add, but I am just grateful that you are being open and honest.

Jill said...

sunshine is just the word that came to mind when i first glanced at his adorable beaming countenance.

i know an elite, choice spirit when i see one ;)

Robin {keephomesimple} said...

Loved this post Tiffani! Jake sounds amazing and I'm pretty sure he's got an amazing mom too. :)

Randi said...

I'm so glad you shared this Tiffani (and so glad to have met you too!). I don't know Jake, but having met you, I know he has a great support system. Keep sharing your story :)

Mandy Rasmussen said...

He has the brightest smile I have ever seen a child smile! How blessed you and your family are to have him in your lives!! He's a cutie!

Leigh and Andy said...

Thanks so much for sharing about jake. As the mom of a little one with SB I also wonder and worry about Grey's future. It helps my heart to see how happy and amazing jake is! Thanks for sharing him with us. :)

Hil said...

Oh my goodness what a happy, sweet face that boy of yours has. I can't imagine the struggles that come along with SB, but he and you both seem to handle it with such grace. Thank you for sharing your story Tiffany. You are a mother I definitely look up to.

dandee said...

I'm so happy you felt compelled [with a slight nudge ;)]to share an update on your Jake. He is a special boy with a mission in this life. His + your example through this challenge are an inspiration and example to us all. Thank you, Tiffani.
xo.

April Kennedy said...

Thank you Tiffani for sharing. It was so nice to read about you and Jake and another family's joys and struggles with SB. I'm definitely going to sit with Blake and read this with him so he knows he's not the only one!

So so glad we connected! ♥ And so thankful to Danyelle for that nudge.

Ginni said...

As Jake's grandmother, I can tell you, Jake has never ceased to amaze me! From the time when he was just an infant to present he has been such a blessing to this family.
When my wonderful daughter Tiffani was pregnant with Jake, as her mother, I felt her pain when she first learned of the circumstances of her childs' future life here on this earth. She was informed of all of the things Jake would never be able to do, or feel.
When Jake was just an infant, he seemed to always know when he had a wet, or soiled diaper on. He would begin squirming around and get fussy. This was a baby who was supposed to have no feeling from the waist down.
As Jake grew, he continued to amaze me. I was visiting with my precious daughter at her home one day. I looked one moment to see Jake sitting on the floor, the very next moment, he had pulled himself up to the small kids table and was turned looking at us with a big grin on his face!
I knew then, Jake was an extremely special person. I also knew then in that moment, that the doctors don't always know what they are talking about, at least where our Jake is concerned!
Nothing has slowed our Jake down. He continually amazed me everytime I was visiting at my daughter's home. I could not beleive how quickly he could get himself anywhere in the house he wanted to, when he wanted to. This was all long before his walker, or his wheelchairs!
I want to tell my daughter how very much I love her, how very proud of her I am, and how much I love our Jake. I am so blessed to be able to be a part of all of their lives, and so very grateful! I would not trade any of them for anything.
My grandchildren all have such a wonderful sense of humor. I love their smiles, their hugs and kisses, and how they always amaze me with how very smart they all are! Tiffani, I love and miss you all, hope to be able to come and see all of you soon!Till then honey.....
Mom~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kimberlee said...

I image that the trials are probably plenty with SB and there would be much room for disappointment. But his smile *is* sunshine. It really is. And it would lead you to believe opposite. And his strength {and yours} is something to praise. Thank you for sharing Tiffani. XOXO

Kimberlee said...

Imagine. Not image. I hate when I do that. :)

www.StarHughes.com said...

Such a beautiful, sweet post. And such a sweet little boy! Thanks for sharing - it sounds like you have such an amazing, amazing family!
Star Hughes Living

Elizabeth said...

You inspire me. I know he is blessed by having you as a mother, and I loved what you said about it being a journey for you, too.

Andre said...

I always thought Jake was awesome! I think you are an awesome mom too!

Emily said...

Thank you, Tiffani for sharing your thoughts on your sweet boy. You are right, he DOES bring sunshine to those who know him--I can also say that he also brings sunshine to those that haven't had the privilege of knowing him personally. I just see pictures of his smiling face and can't help but just feel happy. What a special boy. He is wise beyond his years and is fulfilling his mission on this earth. What a blessing. You, my friend, are a remarkable mother and I admire you so much. Keep up the good work! It's been such a pleasure getting to know you via your blog over the past 4+ years. I adore you!